Villa Lanata is located in Cossano Belbo, on the Rovere hill which dominates the valley dear to Cesare Pavese. The villa and the estate have been founded around 1880 by Cardinal Giovanni Battista Lanata, a Genoese prelate who made of it his summer residence, where he gave hospitality to the “Canonici dell’Immacolata” from Genoa and to his parents. The Cardinal has many merits, among which the construction of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. In his memory the City of Genoa has named a street after him. At his death, the heirs continued to visit the villa and to take care with a passion of the vineyards, until World War II. Abandoned and decayed from the postwar period up to the seventies, the estate was acquired by the Martini family, which with passion and dedication brought it back to its ancient splendors by means of an accurate restoration managed by Eleonora Martini, third generation and premium soul of the family estates.
Today it represents a very rare island of Genoese architectural style in the heart of the Langa region, and it is at the center of an estate of over 53 hectares of Muscatel and Chardonnay vineyard.